In 1956, this UFO of a building touched down at the busy intersection of 55th and Kedzie. It hovers there still today, a circular pie-slice of building fronted by a thin-shell concrete pod. Architects Pavlecic & Kovacevic designed a stridently Modern building, utterly free of historical associations in ornament or form.
The baptistery is a building within a building, a circular form rendered in glazed orange brick, inset with gold-finished crosses.
The stained glass is unobtrusively simple, not particularly groundbreaking, but adequately modern.
Quite a few ornate period details remain. Check out the mosaic-tiled baptismal font, the grid of screens behind the altar, and of course that fabulously Fifties glossy blue-green brick.
The Stations of the Cross are done in a more stylized fashion than the stained glass, more befitting this stridently jet age building.
St. Gall is a shouting punctuation amid all the background paragraphs of the neighborhoods east of Midway Airport.
Link: A history of the church, with detailed information on this building, as part of a tour of church organs.